NBA star Türkoğlu denies report he was dismissed as Erdoğan adviser
Former NBA star Hidayet Türkoğlu denied a newspaper report that he was dismissed as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s adviser for sport and head of the Turkish Basketball Federation (TBF).
Turkish daily Cumhuriyet said on Tuesday that Türkoğlu was leaving the posts due to an argument over his 150-million-euro fortune.
“With great pride, I continue to carry out my duties with all my knowledge and vision,” Türkoğlu said in a statement on his Twitter account on Tuesday.
The unfounded allegations had been spread by rival candidates in upcoming elections for the leadership of the TBF, he said.
Türkoğlu, a U.S. citizen, was ordered to vacate his office at the presidential palace in Ankara because he refused to repatriate the money from his foreign bank accounts, Cumhuriyet said, citing sources close to Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
Türkoğlu, became an adviser to President Erdoğan in 2016 and he has been serving as the head of TBF since 2015.
Türkoğlu played for six NBA teams in a 15-season career, including Sacramento, Orlando and the L.A. Clippers, until his retirement in March 2014.